Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Doors, doors, doors.

Ugh, renovations. Oh how I am sick of them.
But all is worth it when Dman and I get to step back and admire our work.

Today's treat for y'all: our new mission style doors!

Here is what was in the house when we bought it:



Yes, I failed to take a real before picture (as with most things we have renovated - darn excitement - I jumped the gun with everything), and yes, the door is now functioning as a fence hole-filler-inner to keep the mutts in. Our fence is HORRIBLE but one project at a time right? I know it's very white trash but don't judge me.

Anyway, as you can see, they were u-g-l-y, UGLY. A bad paint job of oak, and those bronze doorknobs that totally remind me of my childhood which, I might add, were all loose and falling off. Quite a few of the doors didn't even close because the frames were warped.

So, we decided to replace them with these beauties:


Please ignore the poor picture - I was at an awkward picture taking angle.

I chose to do mission style doors. Why? I am in love with the design movement. It originated in the late 19th century when people looked to break away from Victorian design but wanted something with more substance than the mass produced furniture of the industrial revolution. So furniture makers began making pieces that had straight lines, uncluttered profiles, and used very heavy/chunky peices of wood. It's a very modern (clean lines) but rustic (chunky, often highlights wood grain) look. Love it.

I was debating going with shaker style doors, which is very much of the same style. It originated with, no suprise here, the shakers and is characterized by many of the same characteristics as the mission style, the only real differences being that the shaker style is more delicate and not so heavy, and in the way that it is constructed. Modern shaker style uses a more complicated joinery that mission which is a lot more work for the manufactuer, and hence, a lot more money. So I went mission!

I chose brushed bronze doorknobs to match the mission period:


And thick, chunky, plain molding, again, to match the mission period of the doors:




One more project down, a zillion more to go!


Have a good one.


Leah xoxo

1 comment:

  1. How could you not take befores??? I keep seeing you say that and I don't get it!!! Thats the best part with Reno's... taking befores!! Come on girl!

    ReplyDelete